Thursday, September 6, 2007

Here I am to Worship...

My youngest son at 4.5 yrs old has the most wonderful desire to sing. He hums to himself throughout the day and love to sing songs he hears on cd's in the car and that he learns via Sesame Street and such. My favorite singing though, comes at night after we've prayed and I'm laying in his bed and he's trying to prolong my leaving his room. It is then that he asks me to sing praise songs with him. His favorite song, by far, is "Lord I Lift Your Name on High". He has been singing that earnestly for many months and is happy to burst into song for others and share is rendition. It is wonderful!!

Tonite, he was pulling out more songs than usual because we have been listening to some of our kids praise cd's in the car. He asked me to sing, "You are Holy". We started the song together and he was singing clearly and sincerely. It was so sweet. Here I was laying in bed with my 4yr old singing praise to God and my heart was melting and the special moment that we were experiencing.

Then it happened. One of those moments that as a mom you love and dread at the same time. Your child is being very sincere and they say something but don't use the exact words that should be used and you find yourself trying to maintain your composure.

The words go like this:

"You are Holy"
(You are Holy)
"You are Mighty"
(You are Mighty)
"You are Worthy"
(You are Worthy)
"Worthy of Praise"
(Worthy of Praise)

We were singing our voices rising together and then we got to the line about being worthy. Well, at 4 my sweet son isn't capable of the "th" sound in words and so it becomes, "You are Wormie". What makes that so sweet and funny is that not only was it not the right word, but "Wormie" is a character, specifically a caterpillar, in a childrens video by Max Lucado. My boys love them and to add to that, #3 has a stuffed "wormie" on his bed each night. So as my son told the Lord of the universe that He is "wormie", I smiled and kept right on singing.

I'm a little envious of my children. Not for anything that they have done but for the pure joy and innocence and clean slate they have right now. They worship without preconceived ideas about how it should be done, what they should sing or worries about singing the wrong words or the wrong notes. Their focus is on singing to God. That's it. I wonder how different things would be in our churches and our lives if we lived more like that. What if, we forgot all of our preconceived ideas and just focused on God. I cannot begin to imagine the changes in the world, but I certainly can see what it does for my boys. Pure Joy!!

No comments: