Thursday, March 13, 2008

Happy Birthday....

To my youngest. His birthday culminated with a tiny gathering at the local pizza/game place with immediate family and Grandma and Grandpa. He loved every minute of it. He is now a big 5 year old and very proud of it.

Something I started in the past few years has been to include my boys in the preparations for their celebrations. For my youngest that meant dictating the type of cake he wished for, getting a birthday list for gift ideas, deciding on the pizza place, going to the party store to gather decorations and "goodies" for his guests (brothers) and ended with great celebration as he helped make his cake and got to lick the beaters. Every inch of his body was taken over by excitement as he prepared and anticipated his birthday. It was glorious to watch and I'm so glad that the Lord has blessed me with this particular joy.

And so, after the pizza and cake were eaten, the presents opened and the general merriment was coming down from it's intense climax, I reflected on the joyful experience. It occurred to me that the preparation for the party, the total involvement of my youngest in it all contributed a great deal to his excitement and enjoyment. Isn't that a picture of the great love the Father has for us? We could simply exist here on this planet waiting expectantly for His return and eternity, but God, in His intense love for us, has allowed us to be a part of the preparation. How glorious!

No comments: